Your roof is essential in protecting you and your loved ones from the elements. No matter how good your roof is, over time, it will wear out, especially if it isn’t properly cleaned. Replacing a roof is a significant expense, so it’s crucial for homeowners to do all they can to keep it in good condition for as long as possible.
One efficient way of maintaining a roof is to hire a reliable soft washing company for routine roof cleaning. Have you ever wondered how often you should do it? Read on to find out.
How Often Do You Need Roof Cleaning?
Roofing experts generally recommend having it done annually. Within a year, your roof will accumulate dirt, debris, and even bacteria and algae infestations that can damage your roofing materials, shortening its life.
The frequency of having your roof cleaned can also depend on a number of factors, including the age, slope, and material of your roof, as well as the climate in your area. The home owner’s desire to maintain the beauty of their property should also be considered.
Let’s take a closer look at these factors and see how they affect your roof cleaning schedule:
- Age: Older roofs require more frequent cleaning sessions. This is because they tend to have worn-down materials, making them vulnerable to more damage from dirt, debris, moss, and algae.
- Slope and Pitch: While a roof with a steep angle allows water, dirt, and debris to slide off easily, the north of a steep angle roof tends to get heavier infestation growth due to being shaded. Flat roofs enable debris materials to sit and collect on your roof, so they will require more frequent cleaning.
- Roofing Material: Some roofing materials like metal and tire show dirt, grime, and mildew more easily, while shake, asphalt, or cedar shingles are better at hiding them. For example, asphalt shingles are delicate and vulnerable to the infestations that eat away at roofing materials.
- Desired Aesthetics: If you prefer to maintain the beauty of your home and roof by preventing the buildup of dirt, grime, insect activity, bacteria and algae infestations then a bi-annual bleach-free cleaning is a great option for you. No more waiting for your home and roof to look ugly. Safe, bi-annual bleach-free cleanings will keep your home and roof looking its best.
- Climate and Surroundings: If your home is in an open, sunny area without much shade,your roof will stay clean longer. If your location gets lots of rain and/or high winds, more dirt and debris will find their way onto your roof in a short amount of time. If your house is surrounded by many trees or your area is teeming with wildlife, you can expect more leaves, branches, nests, webs, animal droppings, and other materials to accumulate on your roof faster. That makes frequent roof cleaning a must.
Bleach-Based Soft Washing vs Bleach-Free Cleaning
Many companies that offer residential and commercial soft washing and exterior cleaning services use a variety of chemicals to get the job done. Traditionally, cleaners use bleach in the soft washing process since it can kill infestations and prevent them from growing back for a long time. Over the years, the cleaning agents used have evolved into becoming more eco-friendly.
At Opal Industries, we offer a range of cleaning options, from bleach-free cleaning to soft washing to meet our customer’s roof cleaning needs. We use a combination of biodegradable chemicals that are safe for the environment but still solve the root problem that causes bacteria and mildew infestations. Contact us today to learn more about what we can do to maintain the life and beauty of your roof.